24 to 36 month old curriculum
24 to 36 Month Old Curriculum
The Bean Sprouts and Rockstars classrooms are our 2-year-old classrooms that were opened at Sprouts
Academy. Our rooms consist of children age 24-months to roughly 36-months. In terms of
ratio, we exceed our DCFS accreditation requirements by adhering to a 3:16 (teacher:child)
ratio, rather than the required 2:16 ratio. We have one lead teacher, one co-lead teacher, and a
third team teacher.
By applying the Emergent Curriculum to our every day school endeavors, children have the
opportunity to explore their environment (both indoors and outdoors) in a creative and playful
way. Teachers observe the interests of the children, whether it be block building or painting,
journal-writing or soccer, then use what they observe to elaborate on the children’s experiences.
Expanding on learning interests may come in the form of related books teachers check out
from the local public library, or inviting children to try a focused, more structured art activity that
relates to the children’s interests, for example. The curriculum emerges from the children’s
natural wonder and curiosity. We believe that children learn best through hands-on play and
exploration in our socially-rich school environment.
Besides embracing the Emergent Curriculum, we also utilize aspects of the Reggio Emilia
approach to education. Our Reggio inspiration is visible in terms of our documentation of the
children’s play and work endeavours as well as our community interest and involvement.
Example Daily Schedule for the Bean Sprouts and Rockstars classrooms:
- 7:30am: School Opens, Free Play, Table Toys
- 8:30am: Morning Snack
- 9:00am: School Day Begins/Morning Potty Turns
- 9:15am: Learning Centers, Art, Planned Activities/Lessons Tuesday/Friday Music with Mr. Daniel 9:30-10:00am; Weather permitting outside walk/park 9:30-10:30am
- 10:00am: Morning Circle Time
- 10:30am: Gross Motor/Potty Turns
- 11:15am: Lunch
- 12:15pm: Half Day Pick Up
- 12:30-2:30pm: Nap Time
- 2:30-3:00: Afternoon Snack/Potty Turns
- 3:00pm: School Day Ends: Lead Teachers Leave, Free Play, Table Toys, Outside (weather permitting), Enrichment classes
- 6:00pm: School Closes